Solution 1 - Disable custom cursors
In some cases, custom cursors can cause games to flicker or periodically freeze. Often and where possible, disabling the custom cursor within the game via the Settings/Options menu can solve the problem.
If you cannot get to Settings/Options, try forcing the game into windowed mode by pressing the ALT and ENTER keys on your keyboard when the game is open. Once in windowed mode, you should be able to navigate through and find whether custom cursors can be disabled.
Solution 2 - Adjust screen resolution settings
Windows 8, 10 and 11 users
1. Right click on your desktop and select Display Settings
2. Under resolution, change it to 1024x768 / 1280x768 (or similar if these options are not available)
3. Test the game after each resolution change to see which has helped
4. You can change your resolution settings back to 'recommended'/your preferred setting once the game is closed
Windows 7 users
1. Click on the Start menu (lower left corner of your desktop)
2. Select Control Panel, then in the pop up window, select Hardware and Sound
3. Then in the Display section, select Adjust Screen Resolution
4. In this screen, select the drop down menu next to Resolution. The recommended is 1280 x 1024, lower this to either 1280 x 960 or 1280 x 800 and then click on Apply then close this window.
Solution 3 - Check for system updates
Check whether there are any Windows updates, program updates, or syncing apps running in the background, as this can cause interference with game performance.
If there are Windows updates available, perform the update, restart your system and try playing your game again. Also, close any programs or pause/close any syncing apps running in the background, before opening your game.
Solution 4 - Update your Graphic Card driver
Click on the name of the driver you have (if known) and follow the steps:
Note: Intel users - It's important to note that PC manufacturers can modify Intel's drivers to add or remove functionalities. This means that if you have a branded device, it's recommended to download the latest graphics update from your manufacturer first, then through Intel. Otherwise, unexpected behaviors, such as loss of features and configurations can be expected.
The most common PC manufacturers are: